In this article, we’ll share with you the information concerning the way to enable your mining rig to automatically restart in case it freezes. On our website you can find 3 more articles devoted to the topic of mining process monitoring. If you’ve already ready any of them, you know about the Windows Powershell script that allows to successfully resolve a number of problems that may occur when you’re mining. Unfortunately, this script won’t help in case your mining rig gets frozen.
Today, we’re going to tell you about an online service that keeps on pinging your mining rig up until you turn it off. In case it so happens that the service is unable to ping your mining rig, the smart plug will enable the restart of your rig so that it can start working properly again.
Let’s start. Before you can get to taking advantage of the service mentioned, you need to check if you have a static IP address or not. If you don’t have it, it’s fine. No need to worry here. We’ll tell you what to do in order to get it. If you’re the one having a static IP address, you can skip reading this part of the article and get to the part where we describe the approach that allows to restart your rig automatically in case it gets frozen.
Actually, you can contact your Internet provider and ask for a static IP address. In this case, you won’t have to bother with the instruction below. However, there is a charge you’ll be expected to pay for your address to be static.
So what steps do you need to make in order to get a static IP address for free? Let’s see:
- Follow the link provided (www.noip.com).
- Click on the register button and create your personal account.
- Log in to your account and find Dynamic DNS button. Click on it. Then click on the “Hostname” button and, finally, on the “Create Hostname” button.
- You can enter any hostname you like. In order to make it easier for you, we provide the picture that shows how everything should look.
Keep in mind that your hostname is only valid for 30 days. Once the period is over, you’ll have to renew it. There is no money to be paid for it. However, if you think you’d be better off with a never expiring hostname, you can buy the premium service offered. In this case, you’ll have to pay $24 every year.
- Now, you’re to download the dynamic update client and configure it.
- Open the webpage showing the settings of your router and click on the Dynamic DNS button that you can see in the menu. (Have a look at the picture below and check that you made all the necessary changes) Don’t forget that UI of each router differs.
- That’s it! Now you have DDNS that serves as a static IP address.
How to enable your mining rig to restart automatically in case it gets frozen
Now, let’s see what steps you should make in order to take advantage of the approach mentioned.
- Now that you have a static IP address, the next step to make is to register on the website offering monitoring service.
- We’ve used the Spiceworks and Uptimerrobot services. They both are great.
- Choose one of the services mentioned above. In this article, we show how to use Uptimerobot service.
- Register your personal account on the Uptimerobot website and log in to it. After it, find and click on the “Add New Monitor” button.
- Now, you need to choose the Monitor type as well as type in your static IP address and Hostname. (Have a look at the picture provided)
- Your next task is to enable ICMP request. Once you do this, the Uptime robot will be able to ping your rig remotely in order to check its status.
- In order to enable the request, open the command prompt window (in administration mode).
- Copy the command you can see in the picture below and paste it in the necessary field. Click on the “Enter” button on your keyboard.
- That’s it! Don’t forget that in case your mining rig is turned off or hanged up, the remote service won’t ping it. In case it so happens that your rig gets down, you’ll receive a notification via email.
How to create a label in Gmail:
- First of all, you need to open your Gmail and click on the “Settings” icon in the menu that you can see on the right.
- Go to the Filters and Blocked addresses and click on the “Create a new Filter” button.
- We’ve already said that in this article we show what changes a person should make in case he/she chooses the Uptimerobot service. If you choose to use the Spiceworks service, type in a different email address.
- In the “From” field you’re to type in the email address.
- In the “Subject” field you can, for example, type in the following: “Monitor is DOWN”.
- Click on the “Create Filter with this search” link. Then choose the “Apply label” option from the menu. Finally, choose the “New label” option from the menu. Type in the name of your label. For example, “minerdown”.
How to configure smart plug
- The first thing to do is to go to a store and buy Wemo Insights Smart Plug. (Below we provide the picture showing how it looks).
This plug takes load up to 1800 watt and can be used only by those living in the USA. If you’re based in Europe, you can buy Tp-Link smart plug.
- You need to connect your Wemo plug with your PSU. Download the Wemo application and open it.
- Choose “Connect to IFTTT”.
- Go to the IFTTT website and create your personal account on it.
- Create new applet → search for Gmail → New email in inbox labeled
- Type in the name of your label (“minerdown”).
- Create trigger → Wemo → Wemo Insight Switch → Turn On or Off.
That’s it. Now, you know what to do in order enable your rig to restart automatically in case it gets frozen.